I Didn’t Need More Content. I Needed to Stop Thinking About It Every Day.

The social media problem most solopreneurs quietly create for themselves.


There is a strange kind of pressure that comes with running a business alone. You can spend the entire day doing things that actually matter, finish client work, answer enquiries, work on your website, send a proposal, learn something new, and still have a small voice somewhere in the back of your mind reminding you that you haven't posted anything today. You tell yourself it will only take ten minutes, so you open Instagram, look through your notes, find an idea you wrote down last week, start turning it into a post, then remember you haven't posted on LinkedIn either. Suddenly you're jumping between platforms, checking what you shared recently, wondering whether the same idea will work somewhere else, and that "ten minute task" has quietly eaten an hour.

The funny thing is, most solopreneurs don't actually have a shortage of content ideas. We have notes everywhere. Half-written captions, old blog posts, screenshots, customer questions, things we wanted to explain, opinions we never published, useful posts sitting on our profiles and content we spent hours creating only to forget about a few days later. Yet every time it's time to publish something, we behave as though we're starting from a completely empty page. We open a blank document and ask ourselves the same question again: "What should I post?"

Maybe that's the real problem.

We aren't always struggling to create content. We're struggling to manage everything that happens around the content.

The Sunday plan that rarely survives the week

I love the idea of sitting down on Sunday and preparing the entire week of social media content. On paper, it sounds like the perfect system. Spend a few hours planning everything, schedule the posts, close the laptop and forget about social media until next week.

Then Sunday arrives.

Something from a client needs finishing. You're tired. You have an idea for a completely different post. Your website needs attention. You haven't replied to an enquiry. You tell yourself you'll do it Monday morning because Monday will be more productive.

Monday morning arrives and the client work comes first.

Then Tuesday.

By Wednesday, you're looking at your social accounts thinking, "I really should post something."

So you create something quickly.

Maybe it's actually good. Maybe it isn't. The important thing is that you're once again making a marketing decision because you feel like you have to, rather than because you actually had something you wanted to say.

Then Friday comes around and you promise yourself that next week will be different.

This cycle isn't necessarily caused by laziness or a lack of discipline. When you're running the entire business yourself, there are simply too many things competing for the same limited attention. Social media is particularly easy to postpone because unlike client work or an invoice, nothing immediately breaks when you don't post.

That's why consistency becomes difficult.

Not because you don't understand that it's important.

Because there is always something that feels more urgent.

 

We make every post carry too much responsibility

A single social media post seems simple until you start thinking about everything involved in publishing it.

What should I say? Which platform should get it? Should I change the caption for LinkedIn? Should this become a Reel? Do I need an image? Have I already talked about this? Is it too promotional? Should I post today or tomorrow? What time is better? Should I include a link? What if nobody engages with it?

None of these decisions is particularly difficult on its own.

The problem is that you're making them over and over again.

And that creates a kind of mental clutter that doesn't show up on your to-do list.

You can have a perfectly good content idea and still spend twenty minutes deciding what to do with it. Then you publish it once, watch it disappear into the feed, and move on to creating the next thing.

After a while, it starts feeling like you're constantly feeding a machine that is never satisfied.

 

What if the content you've already created wasn't finished?

This was the part that changed the way I started looking at social media.

We treat content as though it has one life. You create it, publish it, watch the initial response and then move on. But if the content is still useful, why should it suddenly become worthless simply because a few months have passed?

Of course, some content should only be published once. A limited-time offer, an announcement, an event reminder or anything tied to a specific date doesn't need to come back six months later.

But educational content is different.

A useful explanation can remain useful. A good answer to a common customer question can remain useful. A thoughtful opinion can still be relevant. A strong piece of evergreen content can reach someone today who wasn't even following you when you originally published it.

The problem is that most of us don't have a reliable way to remember which content can be reused, when it should be reused, and where it should go.

So we create something new instead.

That is a surprisingly inefficient way to build a content library.

 

I started looking for a system instead of another reminder

At some point, I realised that adding another reminder to my calendar wasn't really solving the problem.

"Post on Instagram."

"Post on LinkedIn."

"Create Pinterest content."

"Schedule this."

"Remember to reuse that."

I didn't need more reminders. I needed fewer decisions.

What I actually wanted was a place where I could organise different types of content, decide how often each type should appear, prepare things in advance and let the publishing happen according to a system rather than relying on whether I happened to remember it that particular day.

That distinction matters.

A calendar can remind you to post.

A proper content scheduling system can help you decide what happens when you post.

Instead of looking at every post individually, you can think in categories. Educational content can have its own place. Promotional content can have another. Evergreen content can be treated differently from time-sensitive posts. Personal stories, curated content, announcements and other types of posts can each have their own role.

Once the content is organised this way, your weekly schedule doesn't have to start with a blank screen.

You're working from a library you've already built.

 

And this is where social media automation starts making sense

I'm not talking about turning your entire business into a robot that posts generic content while you disappear.

That isn't what I want.

The useful kind of automation is much less exciting than that. It simply takes repetitive work that doesn't require your attention and handles it in the background.

You decide what your content categories are.

You prepare the content.

You decide how often different categories should appear.

You let the system handle the repetitive publishing.

Then you remain available for the things that actually need a human being.

That last part is important.

If someone leaves a thoughtful comment, you should be there. If a customer asks an interesting question, you should pay attention. If something happens in your business today that you genuinely want to talk about, you should be able to publish it immediately rather than waiting for an automated schedule.

Automation should remove the repetitive part of social media, not the human part.

 

The tool I was looking for had to do more than schedule posts

Once I understood what I actually needed, choosing a tool became much easier.

I wasn't looking for another calendar where I could manually drag posts from Tuesday to Thursday.

I wanted content categories, recurring schedules, the ability to reuse evergreen content, support for multiple social platforms and a way to see everything without constantly jumping between different accounts.

I also wanted something that would let me work in batches.

If I'm in the mood to create content today, I want to be able to create several pieces while I'm already in that mindset, organise them properly and know that they have somewhere to go later.

That is a completely different experience from waking up every morning and asking myself what I should post.

And after looking at different options, I found one that fits this approach particularly well.

 

The tool that finally made sense to me

What caught my attention wasn't simply the ability to schedule posts. Plenty of tools can do that. What I found more useful was the way it lets you organise content into categories and build a publishing schedule around those categories, while also giving you the option to recycle suitable evergreen content instead of letting older posts disappear forever.

It also supports multiple social platforms from one place, which becomes useful once you're no longer managing just one account.

That doesn't mean I think everyone needs it.

If you post occasionally on one platform and genuinely enjoy doing everything manually, you probably don't need another subscription. There is no medal waiting for you because you have twelve marketing tools open in your browser.

But if you're a solopreneur, creator, freelancer or small business owner who keeps finding yourself thinking about what to post, managing several platforms, or sitting on a pile of old content that never gets reused, this is the kind of tool I'd seriously consider.

You can have a look at tool here!

 

Maybe the goal isn't to create more

That's what I keep coming back to.

We are constantly being told that we need more content. More posts. More videos. More platforms. More visibility.

But perhaps the better question is what we're doing with the content we already have.

Maybe that useful post you wrote six months ago still has something to say. Maybe the article you published last year could answer a question someone is asking today. Maybe you don't need another hundred ideas sitting in your notes. Maybe you need a system that helps the good ideas you already have get used properly.

And maybe you don't need to spend another Sunday night trying to figure out what you're going to post next week.

You could create when you have the time and the ideas, organise everything properly, schedule the predictable parts and leave yourself enough space to actually run the business.

Because when you're a solopreneur, your time matters.

But your attention matters too.

And I don't think either of them should be spent every day asking the same question:

"What am I going to post today?"

 

 

 

 

Disclosure: This is an affiliate link. If you sign up through my link, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. I recommend it because I think its content organisation and scheduling approach can genuinely help solopreneurs and creators, but it won't be the right fit for everyone. 

Comments